This year is the 25th anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) in Cairo, where 179 governments adopted a landmark Programme of Action which set out to empower women and girls for their sake, and for the benefit of their families, communities and nations.
The Summit was organized in Nairobi, Kenya, from 12-14 November. It covered five themes and highlighted the power of gender equality, youth leadership, political and community leadership, innovation and data, and partnerships to accelerate progress throughout.
- Universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights as a part of universal health coverage.
- Financing required to complete the ICPD Programme of Action, and to sustain the gains made.
- Drawing on demographic diversity to drive economic growth and achieve sustainable development.
- Ending gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- Upholding the right to sexual and reproductive health care even in humanitarian and fragile contexts.
For more on the topic, please go to the ICPD Summit website.